Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Purpose of Purpose

When I chose my word for this year, my mind took it in many directions:

What is my purpose in life?
What is my significance?
What will be my legacy?
What should I do "on purpose"?
How can I be more intentional?
What is the purpose in my friend and youth pastor leaving our church?
In a troubling medical test result?
In a friend battling cancer?
In any number of trials faced?

Lately, too, when I am thinking on a word or a concept, I look for quotes to further my ponderings.  I've always been fond of quotes (of the written word overall, really) and how they are phrased, what larger meaning they have, and how they resonate.  I looked over a few this evening with regard to my word and found this one to be the most relevant:

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.  ~George Bernard Shaw

I'm so eager to see where this year takes me;  a little anxious, too, in some ways, about examining my life in this way.  But didn't Socrates say an unexamined life wasn't worth living?

No comments:

Post a Comment