Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Beautiful Things

I came home from youth group this rainy night, took a hot shower and got immediately into bed.  But since then, I've been lying here listening to Gungor's "Beautiful Things" over and over.

The melody of the song drew me in but then I really started to listen to the lyrics:

All this pain,
I wonder if I'll ever find my way.
I wonder if life could ever really change, at all.
All this earth,
Could all that is lost ever be found?
Could a garden come up from this ground, at all?

The song really speaks to the struggles of so many in my life right now.  When you are in the midst, it is hard to see that any good can arise out of the struggle, the muck, the mire. You wonder what you could have done differently.  You wonder why this is happening.  And most of all, you wonder how you can ever make it through.

But the song goes on:

You make beautiful things,
You make beautiful things out of the dust.
You make beautiful things,
You make beautiful things out of us.

There is hope - for peace, for healing, for wholeness, for redemption.  And I'll hold on to that hope for my friends when they can't because I've seen it in my own life and in the lives of others, even when I was sure no good could come from the terrible - beautiful things, rising from the dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment